At-Large Council Member / Mayor Pro Tempore, City of Cedar Rapids
· Approve budget; determine tax rate; establish policy; determine city’s goals, major projects, and infrastructure improvements.
· Policy championed and passed unanimously by Council:
*Synthetic Drug Ordinance to get ahead of the ever-changing formulas.
*‘Heads-in-beds’ financing for regional project estimated to deliver an annual economic impact of $20 million.
*Amendments to city zoning, lowering minimum square footage requirements for tiny homes.
· Advocated for:
*Human Trafficking and Massage Therapy Business Licensing to place a spotlight on prevention and elimination.
*Affordable Housing to support children and families stability, as well as bolster economic growth.
· Researched, created, and implemented three pillars of Youth Services: Education, Employment and Engagement creating collective impact through collaboration with partners such as the Department of Justice, Iowa Works, colleges, school districts, and others.
· Chair, Public Safety and Youth Services
· Member, Community Development
· Member, Finance
· Member, Flood Control System
Outside Appointments / Liaison
· Chair, Linn County/Cedar Rapids Solid Waste Agency
· Chief Elected Official, Region 10 Workforce Development Board
· Board Member, Area Ambulance Service
· Policy Board Member, Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization
· Member, Linn County Community Empowerment Governance Board
· Member, Linn County Early Childhood Iowa
· Liaison, Civil Rights Commission
· Liaison, Parks, Waterways & Recreation Commission
· Liaison, Resident Advisory Board
· Liaison, Safe, Equitable, Thriving Community Task Force
Additional Service: National League of Cities: Public Safety & Crime Prevention Committee, Race Equity & Leadership Council. Iowa League of Cities: Legislative Policy and Education Committees. Iowa Advisory Council on Automated Transportation Committee.
AWARDS & HONORS
Martin Luther King, Jr. Achievement Award | State of Iowa Department of Human Rights
Everyday Hero | The Gazette
Woman of Achievement in Service to the Community Honoree | Waypoint Services
Bronze Certification | Iowa League of Cities
Certified Elected Municipal Official | National League of Cities, Washington, D.C.
Community Award – Most Impactful Public Servant | Iowa BIG
Outstanding Marketing | Junior League of Cedar Rapids
Outstanding League Member | Junior League of Cedar Rapids
Cops & Kids Recognition of Support | The Cedar Rapids Police Protective Charity
Board of Parole, State of Iowa
Regional Workforce Development Board, Elected Vice-Chair, State of Iowa
Long-Term Recovery Planning Task Force for Iowa (2008 Flood Recovery), State of Iowa
Sixth Judicial Department of Corrections Board/Elected Executive Committee, Linn County